With more than 1.2 billion digital buyers worldwide in 2015, online shopping is a growing trend no business should ignore. Matt Duo has written a comprehensive article on codeable.io that outlines a range on considerations, options and advice about what you need to consider before deciding to jump into e-commerce on your site.
A summary of Matt’s points are:
- Growth of e-commerce sales is trending higher year-on-tear in the US, Europe and across Asia-Pacific.
- The top e-commerce platforms are WooCommerce (WordPress) 29%, Squarespace Commerce 16%, Magento 6%, Shopify 4% with ‘Other’ topping the list at 40%.
- The Do-It-Yourself (DIY) development of e-commerce into codeable.io cost $26,000.
- A typical budget for WooCommerce in a customised project would be $10,000 – $20,000 for a Small/Medium site.
- Key considerations for DIY-ers are Time – Resources – Future Maintenance.
- Costs for maintaining e-commerce is between 3% and 10% of revenue.
The consensus of comments from the article indicated that Shopify is the best option for small businesses as it presents the most cost-effective solution.
Most small business operators lack the time, resources and specialist skills required to do it themselves so engaging a professional e-commerce developer to set it up for them is the way to go.